Funding for this building was appropriated by Congress in 1908, and construction was completed in 1913. Architecturally, it is a fine and relatively rare example of the Renaissance Revival architectural style. Character-defining features of the style include wide overhanging eaves supported by brackets, clay tile covering the roof and impressive second story pilasters. The North Platte Post Office and Federal Building also represents an important period of growth and prosperity in North Platte that brought about a federal presence in the city.
This site, which served as a relay station for the Pony Express, is thought to have been located near Box Elder Creek, two miles south and one mile west of present-day North Platte, in Lincoln County, Nebraska. The station was listed on the 1861 Overland Mail Company contract. Some historians note confusion between Cold Springs and Jack Morrow's Ranch, also called the Junction House, which was located twelve miles from Cottonwood Springs. The Cold Springs Pony Express Marker is located approximately one-half mile west of S. Buffalo Bill Ave. on Walker Road. 41.104706 -100.808778
A hostile party of Sioux Indians attacked A. Conroy and his son as they were putting hay east of Fort McPherson. The Indians killed the father and the rake team but the boy was driving and ran off. The boy fell backwards into the hayfilled teeth of the rake and he hid successfully all day. After sunset he escaped to Fort McPherson. In 1962, the Brady Lions Club marked Conroy's grave. Conroy's Grave is located on Ft. McPherson Road, which is part of the original 1913 alignment of the Lincoln Highway, just west of the road going south out of Brady, Banner Road. It is about a quarter mile south on a dirt track.
The Cottonwood Springs Pony Express station site is thought to have been located about two miles west of Fort McPherson. The station, also known as McDonald's Ranch and Box Elder, also served as a stop for the Leavenworth and Pike's Peak Express Company stage line. The June, 1860 census states that a man named John North was the station keeper for the Pony Express Company. The Cottonwood Springs Pony Express marker is located approximately 3/4 mile west of the Plainview Cemetery on East State Farm Road.
In 1859, the Leavenworth & Pike's Peak Express Company utilized this station and identified it as O'Fallon's Bluffs, and therefore it is logical that its successor, the Central Overland California and Pike's Peak Express Company, also used the station for the Pony Express. O'Fallon's Bluff Station was probably located about two miles south and four miles west of Sutherland. Situated just west of the bluffs named for Indian agent Benjamin O'Fallon, the station appeared in the 1861 Overland Mail Company contract as "Dansey's." This name, a corruption of "Dorsey" or "D'Orsay," who may have been the station keeper. Besides O'Fallons Bluffs and Dansey's, sources give the station a variety of other names, including Half Way or Halfway House, and Elkhorn. This Pony Express marker is located three miles east of US Highway 25 on Sutherland Cemetery Road, then 3/4 miles south on S. Seifer Road.
The fort was established on the Oregon Trail on the south side of the Platte River in October 1863, on the eve of the intensified Indian raids on the Platte. Built next to the well-known Cottonwood Springs and McDonald ranches, it commanded a strategic north-south Indian trail across the Platte valley. This historical marker is located along Highway 30 just west of Maxwell, at the east end of the UPRR overpass.
The last four soldiers who served at Fort McPherson dedicated the original statue on Memorial Day of 1928. They were Theodor Lowe, Charles Hendy, R. McMurray and Cyrus Fox. This fully restored statue now features a convenient parking area and bench. It is located at the approximate site of the flag pole on the original Ft. McPherson parade ground.
This monument marks the important trail leading south from Ft. McPherson into the rich hunting grounds and woodlands of the Loess Canyons. The Ft. McPherson Trail Monument is located 7.9 miles south on Cottonwood Canyon Road, .6 miles past the junction with Effenbeck Road.
This site is possibly about 1.5 miles south of Hershey, Nebraska. Sources generally agree on its identity and location as a home station and stage stop. Other sources place its location about 5.5 miles southeast of Sutherland in Lincoln County. In late 1860, the English traveler Richard F. Burton described the station's unique architecture in this way: "The building is of a style peculiar to the south, especially Florida—two huts connected by a roofwork of thatched timber, which acts as the best and coolest of verandahs." The Fremont Springs monument is located approximately 2.25 miles west of the Hershey-Dickens Road on W. Oregon Trail Road. 41.134485 -101.043647
Erected by the people of Lincoln County in the year 1931 to commemorate the Old Oregon Trail. The ranch along the hills was known as Jack Marrows Ranch. He traded oxen, conducted a settlers store and dance hall. Many small emigrant trains were raided by his men disguised as Indians. The old trail continued west along the foothills. The marker commemorating Jack Marrows ranch is located .4 miles south on S. Old Hwy 83 Road from E. State Farm Road. 41.084083 -100.715297
The hall was built in 1921 as a memorial to John R. Johnston, a resident of Pennsylvania who was prominent in the glass industry. Johnston came to Wallace annually for twenty-four years to hunt and fish. His family and friends built the hall as a memorial after Johnston died of tuberculosis in 1920 at the age of fifty-three. The hall was designed by F. W. Fitzpatrick, a nationally known architect. The Johnson Memorial Hall in Wallace sits on the corner of Commercial Ave. and Alice St.
Many historical markers have been relocated to the Lincoln County Historical Museum when their original locations became endangered. The historical markers can be seen in the Western Heritage Village and the north side of the main Museum building.
This stone marker marks the Overland Ranch of Chas. McDonald, Established at Cottonwood Springs on Oregon Trail, Jan. 1860. Located on E. Ft. McPherson Road, between South Ft. McPherson Road and S. Cottonwood Canyon Road. 41.016522 '-100.512236
In memory of all the children who died along the trail, this site was dedicated as the final resting place for one infant Mormon boy. Long ago a little fence was placed here by local residents who, for many years, placed flowers at the grave. In 1997, a wagon train reenacting the Mormon Trail held a special ceremony of respect here. The original fence had long since deteriorated and the exact location was questioned, but a nearby land owner, Stu Coker, identified the spot of the grave. Members of the Sutherland Community and LDS church marked the grave with a small headstone and erected a new fence. This historical site is located approximately one mile east from Prairie Trace Road on North River Road. 41.214174 -101.079162
Mormon Trail Odometer was invented and first installed near the site of the present-day North Platte Regional Airport. An interpretive marker commemorates the site. Located on the north wall of the portico of the Airport Terminal, N 41 07.971 W 100 41.889
The Mormon Trail marker was placed by the 150th anniversary re-enactment of the 1847 Mormon Trail wagon train in 1997. Just east of the marker can be seen deep eroded ruts from the Mormon Trail. Located approximately five miles north of Sutherland, Nebraska on Prairie Trace Road. 41.215175 -101.117378
Located in North Platte, the Fox Theater is a fine example of the "Picture Palace," a building type popular in America in the 1920s. A product of Eclecticism, the theater incorporates decorative features from various architectural styles, including Egyptian, Georgian, Moorish, and Roman. Keith Neville and Alex Beck of the North Platte Realty Company financed and erected the theater in 1929. Neville, governor of Nebraska 1917-19, also financed construction of the Hotel Yancey located across the street from the Fox Theater. Both buildings were designed by Omaha architect Frederick A. Henninger. The Fox Theater opened on November 24,1929. It is named for William Fox, a pioneer in the movie industry of America.
The state of Nebraska placed this marker commemorating the Oregon Trail in 1912. This Oregon Trail marker is located near the clubhouse of the Sutherland Oregon Trail golf course on the shore of the Sutherland Reservoir. 41.126995 -101.136048
This marker placed by the state of Nebraska in 1914 sits at the entrance of the University of Nebraska's West Central Research and Extension Center. This marker is located just west of US Highway 83 on State Farm Road. 41.090087 -100.768051
Though the brass plaques have been replaced with an image of a barrel racer, the outline of the distinctive covered wagon can be seen in the concrete. This Oregon Trail maker is located approximately two miles west of S. Buffalo Bill Ave. on Walker Road. 41.104961 -100.896572
"Scout's Rest" was the home of William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody, the premier showman whose Wild West shows embodied the legend of the American West. Located near North Platte, ranch buildings include the 1886 French Second Empire house, a one-and-one-half-story frame dwelling that features a prominent tower; the late 1880s barn; a cobhouse; icehouse; and a wine cellar. 250 acres of the original four-thousand-acre ranch have been preserved as Buffalo Bill Ranch State Historical Park and State Recreation Area by the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.
The single marker at the Sutherland Westbound I-80 Rest Area commemorates the Great Platte River Road This westbound I-80 rest area is approximately five miles west of the Hershey, Nebraska I-80 exit. Continue traveling westbound past Hershey and enter the rest area on the right. 41.141302 -101.090121
The westward trail monuments at the Sutherland Eastbound I-80 rest area are artistic and educational. To find these monuments to the westward expansion of America, travel about a half mile east of the Sutherland Highway 25 exit on Interstate 80 and enter the eastbound rest area. 41.139090 -101.096697
North Platte's Cody Park is the site of the world's first spectator rodeo, hosted by Buffalo Bill Cody in 1882. It went on to become the Wild West Show and the Cowboy Exhibition evolved into the modern sport of Rodeo. The Memorial consists of a life-size statue of Buffalo Bill donated by the citizens of Great Britain, flags of every state and nation in which the Wild West performed, and plaques commemorating people who made the show a world wide success.