Lincoln County Courthouse
Built in 1921-24 and 1931-32, the Lincoln County Courthouse is an excellent, largely unaltered example of the property type “County Citadel”. Identifying features include a rectangular shape, centered entrance, costly materials, distinctive ornamentation, Beaux Arts stylistic influence, provision for fireproof storage, and an impression of a government building representing modernity, strength, and prosperity.
In addition, the courthouse has other County Citadel characteristics: flat roof, prominently raised basement, and designed by an architect. The courthouse was among the costliest and longest under construction of Nebraska courthouses. It displays several features uncommon for Nebraska courthouses, especially the use of terra cotta and very prominent, raised pavilions. The courthouse is an interesting example of the work of George A. Berlinghof, an important Nebraska architect, and represents the evolution of his designs.