Fort McPherson Historical Marker

The fort was established on the Oregon Trail on the south side of the Platte River in October 1863, on the eve of the intensified Indian raids on the Platte. Built next to the well-known Cottonwood Springs and McDonald ranches, it commanded a strategic north-south Indian trail across the Platte valley. This historical marker is located along Highway 30 just west of Maxwell, at the east end of the UPRR overpass.  More about Fort McPherson