Cottonwood Springs

The Cottonwood Springs Pony Express station site is thought to have been located about two miles west of Fort McPherson. The station, also known as McDonald’s Ranch and Box Elder, also served as a stop for the Leavenworth and Pike’s Peak Express Company stage line. The June, 1860 census states that a man named John North was the station keeper for the Pony Express Company. The Cottonwood Springs Pony Express marker is located approximately 3/4 mile west of the Plainview Cemetery on East State Farm Road.