Lincoln County Historical Museum
See the heartwarming story of the North Platte Canteen at the Lincoln County Historical Museum
Early pioneer history is preserved in the Western Heritage Village which is home to restored buildings dating from the 1860’s Pony Express log cabin to the 1917 Country Church. Also included are the 1963 Fort McPherson headquarters, 1899 Fredericksen home, 1869 two story log home of the first homesteader in Lincoln County, 1900 barber shop, and the 1876 birthplace of William Jeffers, President of Union Pacific Railroad from 1937 through 1946.
The Museum is also the home of the World War II North Platte Canteen, which served more than 6.5 million service men and women from Christmas Day 1941 through April first, 1946. Every day, as many as 5,000 service members visited the North Platte Canteen in the Union Pacific Depot. Many never forgot the ten minute stop, as sixty years of thank-you letters can attest.
Fee: Admission charged
Guided tours available by appointment all year.
May 1 through September 30 Sunday 1pm-5pm; Mon-Sat 9am-5pm
Address: 2403 N. Buffalo Bill Ave.